Let me tell you that I have been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks since 2001. It has been a really devastating life for me. Imagine, every hour my panic attacks flare up and that so many bad things come to my mind and reduce me to rubble. However, after realizing that I need to start treating myself, aside from consulting a specialist, I have come up with the five simplest ways that I do whenever panic attacks and therefore stress, attacks me.
1. Breathe slowly and heavily. Whenever I feel that an attack is coming, I immediately stop moving. Then I will take a deep breath and hold it for about 3 seconds. Then exhale it again later. This is very effective because it calms you down and an increased oxygen absorption reduces adrenalin.
2. Wait for your fainting session. It is a bit morbid but I sure wait for myself to pass out. Feeling fainting is one of the nasty symptoms of anxiety attacks. Therefore, I tease myself, “sure go ahead, faint now”, but it will never happen because it is just in the mind. And by provoking my mind, the fainting won’t really happen.
3. Test yourself if you have gone crazy. Have you ever felt those symptoms when you feel like you are going crazy? Well, this is one symptom of anxiety and panic attacks. Whenever I feel that an attack is coming and that thoughts are rushing in and out of my brain, I stop and look around. Does the surrounding still look as before? If it does, then I am not crazy.
4. Look upward. There is something about looking up to the ceiling or to the sky that calms me down. It readily reduces the effects of anxiety and panic attacks.
5. Believe your mom. My mom always tells me that it is in the mind. While she may be correct, anxiety attacks are rarely treated with self created solutions. However, moms are comforting so better remind yourself with an advice or two from her and suddenly everything will seem all right again.
Now, try these tips on reducing the effects of anxiety attacks then tell us if they have worked for you.
Did you enjoy this article? Share this to your friends and let us talk about your experience with anxiety and panic attacks.
Discuss Health aims to give you simple to understand information on health. If you find our articles useful, kindly click "+1" button and recommend us to your friends. Thank you.